August 30, 2011

Life's a Beach

Click play if you'd like, and read on..


Alright, maybe not that big, but the insects here are huge.



This has been my first time living out of the States, and initially I was in love with everything that I was feeling.  The quietness of all natural beaches, a slow paced, village lifestyle. We don't have very many opportunities in life as adults to experience something so new for the first time. I was consumed by equal parts fear, curiosity, and determination to make this next few years work. 

Where I live is that perfect temperature. Where the big clouds make the air thick enough to feel hot.. Riiight, more like humid. But the salty spray and breeze off the ocean cools you down at the same time.  I wish I could capture the air in a jar to keep with me. To always remember the feel and and to remember the smell. 



...& The sunsets are my most favorite part


I'll never forget the huge sunsets. Breathing in the thick, salty air, no matter where you go. I'll always think back and remember my boys running in the sand, being so loud with their huge belly laughs, having the time of their lives, carefree and simple. 


Even though everyone knows that walking/running/hiking in sand is like a bad dream where you're going nowhere fast.  But I love the beach; Do I love cleaning the sand out of the car, nooo.   Do I love cleaning it out of my  hair, off my children and floors, not really.  But it's so worth it. 


The beach is always the same amazing, relaxing place when you return. It never changes. We do change. Time, stress, money, bad relationships, & negativity twist and shape us until we're shells of what we used to be. The beach is always the same.

The same sand, breeze, and sweet, predictable tide...pulling in and out, reminding me that I can always stay the same, too. 


I've been thinking about the holidays drawing in closer. How time is passing on. Our days go by slow, but the years fly by. And I know our time is almost up here. As much as I miss home, and can't wait to return, I want to slow it all down in a way. I want to breathe in every second of this.  


Because soon this wont be our little island, our little escape from the rest of the world. Soon we'll be back in the commercialized world & going 75 on the  highway. Soon we'll be back in line for something in some strip mall.  I will always look back and reminisce about this experience. For both the good and the not so good times.



But at the same time, the best part of traveling to a place where everything is unfamiliar is coming back home, knowing that it has shaped a small piece of who you are. This was the move we needed to take. These two years we’ve spent; these two years have taught us lessons about what our priorities in life really are.



Here on this little island, I remembered to slow down.
...& I live for these unforgettable days. 


A favorite story,  The Tourist and the Mexican Fisherman:
..........A boat docked in a tiny Mexican village. An American tourist complimented the Mexican fisherman on the quality of his fish and asked how long it took him to catch them.
"Not very long," answered the Mexican.
"But then, why didn't you stay out longer and catch more?" asked the American.
The Mexican explained that his small catch was sufficient to meet his needs and those of his family.
The American asked, "But what do you do with the rest of your time?"
"I sleep late, fish a little, play with my children, take a siesta with my wife, stroll into the village each evening where I sip wine and play guitar with my amigos, I have a full and busy life, senor."
The American interrupted, "I have an MBA from Harvard and I can help you! You should spend more time fishing and with the proceeds you buy a bigger boat. With the proceeds from the bigger boat you could buy several boats, eventually you would have a fleet of fishing boats."
"Instead of selling your fish to a middleman, you can negotiate directly with the processing plants and maybe even open your own plant. You can then leave this little village and move to Mexico City, Los Angeles, or even New York City! From there you can direct your huge enterprise."
"How long would that take?" asked the Mexican.
"15 perhaps 20 years," replied the American.
"But what then, senor?"
"Afterwards? That's when it gets really interesting," answered the American, laughing. "When your business gets really big, you can start selling stocks and make millions!"
"Millions, senor? Then what?"
……The American said slowly, "Then you would retire. Move to a small coastal fishing village where you would sleep late, fish a little, play with your kids, take a siesta with your wife, stroll to the village in the evenings where you could sip wine and play your guitar with your amigos..."

, , , ,

21 comments:

Ali's Answers said... [Reply]

Thank you for sharing this. It brought tears to my eyes. My husband and I are at a point in our lives that we are saying "what are we doing this all for". Your family is beautiful! Continue to enjoy your time!

Judy Haughton-James said... [Reply]

These pictures are so beautiful! A lovely place to relax! I live on an island - Jamaica. Take care and my best wishes to you and your family.

Gina said... [Reply]

@Ali's Answers Thank you for the kind words. We've all come to that point. Where we question our choices that have brought us where we are today. Hopefully you and your husband we find a path that make you both happy and content. best wishes ;]

Gina said... [Reply]

@Judy Haughton-James Thank you Judy! I've never been to Jamaica, but my husband and I LOVE the food. Hopefully we can visit one day, I've always wanted to.

DeeDee said... [Reply]

WOW! How lovely! Your pictures are awesome. Thank you for sharing your little piece of paradise with us. I would love to sit in that gorgeous white sand! :)

Cat Alford said... [Reply]

Thank you for sharing this. I too just moved out of the United States and am currently living on the island of Grenada. It's beautiful here and like you, the atmosphere helps me to slow down and live a little.

xoxo
Cat Alford
@BudgetBlonde.com

Jen @ The Decor Scene said... [Reply]

Live a Little....we all need to do that and remind ourselves to do that. Thank you for sharing your gorgeous pictures. Enjoy the rest of your time on this gorgeous island...what wonderful memories you will have for the rest of your life. Have a great day!!! :)

Bibbity Bobbity Boo said... [Reply]

It looks beautiful!

Mama Zen said... [Reply]

What a gorgeous place!

Centsational Girl said... [Reply]

Okay, I was just transported. *sigh* Thanks for taking us on a tour of your idyllic little island, I am wishing I could join you there. And BTW, that is one of my most favorite stories ever!!!
It was shared in my church two years ago and I've been looking for it everywhere, I so appreciate you retelling it here. SO TRUE.
Thanks for linking up!

xo
Kate

A Pretty Life in the Suburbs said... [Reply]

Oh what a beautiful place to call home! I crave being able to slow down and not hear city noises! Really really dreamy!
Jo-Anna

Angela at Our Family Journey said... [Reply]

It's breathtakingly beautiful! Thanks for the tour!

Homestyling101 said... [Reply]

What a beautiful description of your life! It reminds me to slow down on this strip-mall, highway infested place and enjoy life's little gifts! Beautiful family as well!

Thomasina said... [Reply]

So poignant! Concrete jungles are only there so we can one day go somewhere and be relaxed...free!

Sandy said... [Reply]

What a wonderful loving story.. your life sounds calm and so very sweet! The story of the Mexican Man was really touching and oh so true.
Sandy

Mom Fashion World said... [Reply]

Beautiful story!
Thanks for sharing.

Btw, I stumbled upon your blog via Monday blog hop,
and I'm now your newest follower via GFC.
Please feel free to visit my blog @

http://www.momfashionworld.blogspot.com/

Thanks! Looking forward to seeing you there, and hope you will follow me back.

Debs Dealz said... [Reply]

Such beautiful pics! Thank you for sharing! What an awesome experience!

Debs Dealz stopping in from the September '11 Hop to follow you via GFC and Facebook. Please return the follows!!

Also let me know if you are interested in exchanging buttons! :-)

Thanks, Debbie

http://www.debsdealz.blogspot.com

Good Girl Gone Green said... [Reply]

LOL..mosquitos the size of birds. Beautiful pictures!

Jessica @FoundtheMarbles said... [Reply]

What an amazingly beautiful place to live. I am reading this post as it pours buckets here for the third straight day. How wonderful it would be now to live on the beach in the sun with no Walmarts or Starbucks....

pargasjunkyard said... [Reply]

Hopping along! Follow back @ htttp://www.pargasjunkyard.wordpress.com and/or on facebook @ http://www.facebook.com/pages/Pargas-Junkyard/259287017434763

Brandy Walker said... [Reply]

OMG so beautiful! Where do you live? Now following you! Check out my blog when you get a chance.
bstroblog.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...